Thomas Gerwin is a classically educated composer and sound artist and came into the field of electroacustic music very early. Later he intensively worked on the development of soundscape composition. Today he composes acousmatic and concert works for instruments and/or (live-)electronic and creates sound and video installations. To improve his artistic expression, he includes new media, theater, film, dance and painting in his spatial and "situative" sound art works. He is director of inter art project - studio for media art and artistic director of Berlin Loudspeaker Orchestra. Gerwin is founding member of 'World Forum for Acoustic Ecology'. Since 2003 he is Founding Director of "Institute for Multisensorial Arts" (IfmK), since 2004 of concert series "KlangWelten ad hoc" and since 2005 founder and artistic director of 'International Sound Art Festival Berlin'. His works are performed and exhibited worldwide and has won several international prizes.
- Long version
- born 1955
- 1975-78 different studies in guitar and flute
- 1978-84 studied music history, musicology and linguistics/philosophy in Berlin and Tuebingen (M.A.); compositional studies in Darmstadt, Hamburg, Köln, München, Straßbourg
- 1980-85 founded and conducted multimedia artist group "Art Wave Ensemble"
- 1984-87 at Landestheater Tübingen (Stately Theatre)
- 1987-90 studied composition and electronic music in Stuttgart (Master Class Diploma)
- 1988-90 founder and head of the multimedia festival "Tuebinger RaumKunstTage"
- 1990-98 at Center for the Arts and Media (ZKM) Karlsruhe, head of the music collection and co-constructor of "International Digital Electroacoustic Music Archive" (IDEAMA) together with international partners
- 1992-97 Vice-President of "DegeM" (German Association of Electroacoustic Music)
- 1996-2000 Vice-President of Forum für Klanglandschaft (FKL)
- 1998-2000 Founding and Board Member of World Forum for Acoustic Ecology (WFAE)
- 2006-2010 President of Berlin Society for New Music (bgnm)
- since 1996 founder and head of inter art project - studio for media art
- since 1998 free composer and sound artist
- since 2001 President of Society for the Multisensorial Arts (GfmK)
- since 2002 artistic director of Berlin Loudspeaker Orchestra
- since 2003 Founding Director of Institute for Multisensorial Arts (IfmK)
- since 2003 artistic director of concert series "KlangWelten ad"
- since 2005 artistic director of "International Sound Art Festival Berlin", Germany
- He wrote and produced music for numerous concerts, theatre, film, exhibitions, active and interactive sound-video-installations and broadcasting: for tape, instruments, solo, chamber and ensembles; performances and exhibitions in Asia, Australia, Canada, Europe, North and South America
- Several awards and stipends i.e. "Karl-Sczuka-Support-Award" by German Stately Radio SWR 1999; selected for CD SONIC CIRCUITS VII by American Composers Forum 1999, Official composer for the musical creation of European Pavilon at EXPO2000 Hannover, his music was invited to several international festivals, i.e. ICMC (Tokyo, Hongkong, Patras, Göteborg, Barcelona, Belfast) and to ISEA 2002 in Nagoya, he was Artist in Residence at Artspace Sydney 2002.2007 he was awarded with Hoerspielpreis of Aademy of the Fine Arts Berlin for the music to "Ponderabilien" (text: Stephan Krass) and he conducted and composed the "Radioplay of the Year 2007" "Raoul Tranchirers Bemerkungen ueber die Stille" (text: Ror Wolf), 2008 Artist in Residence at Electrovisiones und Habitación del Ruido, Mexico City and Sound Art Stipend of Senatus of Berlin to create interavtive Sound Video Installation "Sophiensaele Soundings", 2010 chosen with hhis piece "corrente...b" for the official CD of International Computer Music Conference ICMC 2010 in New York City.
- Scores at Edition Modern/Tre Media, 5 experimental film musics, several Theatre productions, sound and video installations (see work list)